It has now been 12 months since the Well Society became the club’s majority shareholder. The conclusion of that historic deal meant that the Steelmen became the first top flight club in the UK to be owned by its supporters.
With fan ownership being such a new concept, there were many questions raised about its validity and whether or not Motherwell Football Club could be sustainable under this model.
Since then, there have been several positive changes at Fir Park both on and off the field. Although it is still very much early days, the progress we have made certainly suggests that the club is heading in a positive direction.
Here are a few examples of what’s been achieved under fan ownership so far:
- Well Society membership has increased by over 400 members, with hundreds of existing members returning to support us once again
- All first team players and coaching staff have joined the Well Society
- The Well Society invested £120,000 in the club in April 2017
- We have launched the Exiles Club, helping to connect ‘Well fans based all over the world
- Community outreach projects have been extended. Syrian refugees were welcomed to Fir Park for the Betfred Cup victory over Berwick Rangers, and our community team continue to work on projects in the local area
- There has been a 20% increase in season ticket sales
- Investment has been made in the club’s commercial department, with improvements in the bars and hospitality suites around the ground
- Stephen Robinson has been appointed as manager with input from the Well Society
- Scottish Premiership status was secured for the 2017/18 season
- Fourteen new signings have been made over the summer.
- Contract extensions have been secured for the manager and several key players.
- The team has enjoyed a very strong start to the Scottish Premiership season.
- We have reached the final of the Betfred Cup.
Overall, it’s been an incredible first 12 months under fan ownership. However, there is still so much more we can achieve. We need all ‘Well fans to get behind us in any way they can.
Here are three simple ways you can support us:
Without your backing, none of this would be possible. Thank you for your support.